Chronicled Hope

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thoughts . . . .

It has been a little over a week since I wrote much so I thought that I could at least share a few of my thoughts on life, cancer, the election, and random stuff.  

Yesterday was another round of the dread radiation.  I find myself constantly joking about the hope that it might give me super powers.   In it is a lot of truth though.  The mind seems to make analogies for us like this, the whimsical ideas that lie in our true selves.  Do I actually have aspirations to gain superhuman qualities? No but yes!  A yearning exists, a desires grows that there is a possibility that something extraordinary could come from what appears tragic. It is not the power that is appealing, more so the optimism that anything genuinely amazing and good can happen in the face of tremendous sorrow.    The image of myself having astounding powers not only plays to my hope that  something great can happen in the midst of hardship but also enables my heart to hold on to the fact that I might be able to, in time, become the greatest version of myself.   That the making of who I am is not complete.  Much like a song that still needs the words written, my life is beautiful and full in the music but still needs to communicate it's purpose in words.    There is a greater version in all of use, a strive to the perfection we are intended to be, to be supermen.  So because of all this I wear a necklace with a Superman symbol on it and words, "Go Forward".  It is from the Christopher Reeves Foundation and is a great cause.  So support your supermen in your life and buy a necklace to wear to show you believe that we all can be great version of ourselves. 

www.wbshop.com/cat/Superman/Go-Forward-Dog-Tags

Now today is the day after.  Last night I was blown away by the amount of my friends that are die hard conservative and how parts their faith go out the window with politics.  Don't get my wrong I can care less about who anyone person voted yesterday.  Everyone is allows to voice their personal choice.  But last night after the election was won by President-elect Obama, I sat online and watched the status changes on Facebook.  It is amazing how good people vent horrible things sometimes.  There were countless, "Our country is screwed," comments.  But here are few others, "Hilter brought change too", "God obviously wants America to suffer because He let this happen",   or "Wow, you f*ckin' idiots put a n*gg*r in the White House. Hope he gets assassinated."    I was sad to see these thoughts come from people I have grown up with, call friends, and even go to church with.  
Now I know God can work through anyone he wishes. Brothers and Sisters, I am sorry you are disappointed in the election but I call to you ALL to stop the hate and pray for the president.  If you see him as an enemy then pray more for him then if he was your ally.  McCain lost this election because he put out a lot of fear, anger, and allowed his follower to exude hateful ideas and statements.  Be mad for a minute, be frustrated, even say you are concerned. . . .but stop the hate, whatever your reason might be stop it.  
I will tell you all why I voted for Barack Obama.  And yes many of you are disappointed but get over it.  I believe in Jesus with all of my heart and all that is within me.  I prayed many times over who I should vote for and there was never a single time that God told me who HIS candidate was.  Instead he gave me faith to follow my heart.  Am I sure that is what God said to you too if you prayed for guidance.  
Mr. Obama is a christian, maybe I don't agree with all of his personal beliefs but he believes in Jesus, our savior.  And in the end, after reading hundreds of articles, websites and watching dozen of debates and campaign rallies in all came down to something simple to me.  Which candidate reminded me of Jesus.  Don't freak out, just read the rest.  Jesus took care of the poor, healed the sick, brought peace to the people around him, united the people of God no matter their differing opinions (now the church has kind of screwed that up), and he instilled hope.  He was calm before all accusations by his enemies, gather in the people without exclusion, and was not held by conventional rules (legalism to old testament).  This is the Jesus I believe in.  John McCain does have several of these characteristics and many of the fruits of the spirit.  He is a good man that serves his country well.  John McCain would be a good president. Yet in the end my heart lies in social justice and the greater good of humanity and this country.   Barack Obama does have many of the qualities of Jesus. I know many people hate to hear that but it is true.  I am sure many will throw out the idea of false prophets or other things but he is OUR President now.  

What if he could unite use as people, what if this is the beginning to the end of racism and reverse rasicm, what if he can help make peace a reality, what if we can help the poor, what if we can give the sick a chance to be well.  What if it is worth it to have hope? IS this not what our God, our Savior, our Jesus asked for use to do when he left this world.  And if Barack Obama can't do these things then in 4 yrs we can vote for some else.  But if we always do what we always done, then we always get what we have always gotten. 

I don't write this to start debate but more to give perspective.  The election is over but how we as believer support the president will change our country and our lives.  

Also I have a few other thoughts:
I was totally bummed my Red Sox did not make the World Series but the Phillies winning was sweet. 
I am totally stoked to go see Starfield in Des Moines on Friday . . . seriously anyone want to go with.  Would love to hang out some peeps.  If you have never heard of Starfield, you should get a little off itunes.  
Both Pella and Pella Christian are tearing it up.  Both football teams are still rolling (the main reason none of my friends want to go to Starfield, games are friday too).  
I love the smell of drier sheets. . . it's true
And finally . . . we are two months away from new episodes of LOST.  YEAH!!!



2 Comments:

At November 5, 2008 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Oh Travis, you are never really lacking for words, are you?

I don't agree with Obama, but I do agree with you that we should pray for his leadership. I also prayed about voting, and while my conviction was different than yours, I agree that some of the negative reactions are sad to see. I vowed to pray for our country yesterday, and while I may have voted for McCain; I did not pray about who would win ... I just prayed that people would vote out of prayer & conviction; not hate, fear, anger, retaliation, race, or because they were star-struck one way or the other. I simply asked the LORD to have mercy on the people in our broken nation. HE can do that regardless of who is sitting in the White House.

You know I'm not a baseball person, nor have I ever watched Lost (although I enjoyed working on that Lost puzzle with you once :) ... but I'm glad that you remember to enjoy the things that you enjoy without letting your joy be completely overcome by your circumstances!

PS - I only know one Starfield song & I really like it - but I will have to think about Friday because it is the only night I can be at home this week

~L-Train :)

 
At November 9, 2008 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Jerod, Leah, Cayla, Eliana, and Zoey said...

Reason #344 that I love Tito: you bought me a SWEET t-shirt from the Starfield concert!! And (leaning in closer to whisper), my wife said she likes me in black! You got me a black t-shirt!!! Thanks, man!!

Too bad that those are some of the responses you've gotten. Like Rainbow (hey Rainbow!), I voted for McCain. Barack will be #44 and it's time to pray for wisdom and strength for him no matter what you think about him.

Catch ya later Tito.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home