Chronicled Hope

Friday, December 25, 2009

Where's the Magic has Gone.

Waking up never seems easy except for those few exceptional days in our year. And December 25th use to be one of those days. Yet as I wiped away the sleep from my eyes and took in the first deep breath of Christmas day it felt somewhat ordinary and familiar. And in that early morning, groggy state of being, I looked out the window to see what most people in the midwest hope for on this day. . . newly falling snow. It is that little piece of atmosphere that makes the day set apart from so many others and brings a bit of joyful nostalgia to our hearts. Still what should be . . isn't. The snow seems almost gray and it brings a sense of cold, not the warmth that it should. It is just winter. Is this what it means to grow up; is this the way it is suppose to be? Where has the magic, awe, and wonder gone?

Many of you are probably thinking that is just me being a hum bug but I don't think that is true. I had a goal of writing the 25 days of Christmas but I couldn't do it because some how I missed it. The hope was to reveal the anticipation or unfamiliar reverence of a day that seems lost but I MISSED IT. Something has changed deep in the soul of this day . . . something has changed.

In the last few days I have been a part of several conversation that entail the weather and how it is effecting many Christmas celebrations. Surprisingly there has been a common theme of being unsatisfied. Many feel stuck with their family and are just hoping to get through the day without being annoyed. As I sit here images are flying through my mind of new hopes for this Christmas and the next ones. And they involve my family and I am far from annoyed. I look forward the next Christmas that has a blizzard, to be honest. It will hopefully be a day that I will be awaken by the smell of pine in the air and a soft voice of my future wife saying "Merry Christmas". Perhaps trying to steal a moment together snuggling in our warm bed before the scurry of little feet come running down the hall. Then the sounds of giggles and excitement and little voices pleading to open presents and clammering about the snow falling outside. Then turning the heat up a little in the house and making my wife some coffee for us to sip on as we take in the festivities in the living room. But what I really am excited for is the dream of playing games together, cooking together, and then sit around the table to read the story of our Savior's birth. Taking turns to read the Bible and not being in a hurry. This is what I am now anticipating for my future. And I am sure it seems like a tangent.

All that was just written about is relevant to what I am thinking though. Something has changed in the fundamental way we look at Christmas. My dream seems like a return to olden days and not the conventional. It is not the going from one location to the next, it is not the pleasing everyone until exhaustion, and it is not rushing from moment to moment but rather not rushing a moment. It all seems simple enough but there is still more to it that is lost in translation of this holiday season.

Observation is more compelling that ideas and I have come to a few stunning observations during Advent.

The dollar bill is the new symbol of Christmas in America. People are going out at 12am the day after thanksgiving to purchase things we can't afford, don't need, and most times are not even sure that we want, let alone need. Often times the people that are being shopped for at those early morning sales are ourselves but vailed under the loose notion that is for a spouse or the family. There are a slew of objections to this criticism and I understand that often we upgrade our lives at Christmas time. But what does upgrading have to do with Christmas?

One of my favorite stories during Christmas is the The Gift of the Maji by O. Henry. It about a couple that knows each other so well that they both know what gift would bless each other beyond measure. With that desire to give came a desire to sacrifice. In the end the real gift was the love it took to sacrifice what they treasured most for each other. How does a flat screen have anything to do with that? Expensive has taken over for thoughtful gifts and upgrading has thrown out the blessing of simple pleasures.

Money is ruling a day of remembrance and hope. Network TV not longer show Christmas movies without huge sponsors and Christmas day is normal programming that bring money into each company. When I was a kid all day was Christmas movies. Not to mention the movies that have morals and character are all but gone. I have not scene A Christmas Carol or A Miracle on 34th street at all this year. Money instead of Christmas spirit. . . nice.

Perhaps these thoughts are way in left field. But if you feel that same disappointment with your Christmas then maybe it is time to rethink today. And here are 5 ways to change it.

1. Turn the TV off. Even if your kids just got a PS3, no TV on Christmas. Trust me they can wait.
2. Focus on your own family. For me that includes my parents and brothers since I am single but if I had my own family today would be about us. Say no to the 10 family gatherings in two days. Any time between December 15 - January 1 can be used to gather the extended family. Use Christmas day to be intimate and small and personal.
3. Bring back traditions and/or make some. Christmas is going through the motions for most of use, but traditions force us to slow down, remember, and take stock. You will never regret a tradition because it allows us to engage our family.
4. Limit your spending. This is not financial this is for peace. When you put time into a gift, whether making it or really having purpose to your purchase it changes the idea of gifts and giving. Upgrade your lifestyle after your tax return.
5. Take your time reading through the story of the birth of Christ and let everyone that can take part in the reading. One of my favorite memories of Christmas was when my friends wife was reading from Luke 2 and her love for the scripture cause her to weep in joy, which then made me cry. Fall in love with the Word together.

Be blessed and Merry Christmas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home